- Does the staff knock on the door before entering a resident’s room?
- Does the staff have access to training and continuing education?
- Does the administration perform background checks on prospective employees prior to hiring?
- Are there licensed nurses on staff 24 hours a day, and a Registered Nurse (RN) at least 8 hours per day?
- Do CNAs help plan the care of residents?
Care and Services
- What do residents receive to help keep them healthy?
- Does the facility arrange for extra services such as hearing screenings, vision tests and the podiatrist?
- Can residents still see their personal doctors?
- Is there an arrangement with a hospital for emergencies?
- Are specialized services available for residents requiring a higher level of care, e.g. dementia?
- Does the staff help residents eat and drink at mealtimes if needed?
- Does the facility offer specialized diets based on the dietary needs of the resident?
- Is the facility a non-smoking facility?
- Can residents have personal belongings and furniture in their rooms?
- Do residents have personal storage space in their rooms?
- Do residents have access to a personal phone and television?
- Is Wi-Fi and/or cable included?
- Are handrails and grab bars appropriately placed in the hallways and bathrooms?
- Is there an emergency evacuation plan that accounts for bed-bound residents?
- Are there outdoor areas for residents use and staff to assist them outdoors?
- Does the nursing home have an active volunteer program?
- What improvements were made to the facility or the care in the last year?
- What are the plans for future improvements?